Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Austin Convention Center or Jones Hall

I have two options. The deciding factor is that I do not want to make the three and a half hour drive to Houston this particular weekend. I'm including that option just because I may do it in my spare time or decide spur of the moment that I miss my mother enough to make the long journey for less than 24 hours.

The most promising choice!
Austin Convention Center
The Austin Convention Center is located in the middle of downtown Austin and provides a large number of meetings halls, a few ball rooms, and several exhibition areas for conventions and events for all organizations. The architecture is not only interesting in shape and scale, but the materials. The building is meant to reflect the diversity of the city with its many facades and large collection of building materials from which it is made. The central location and grand architecture makes this building a landing hub for international, statewide, and local attractions. It provides a casually professional atmosphere in a fun and unique environment that welcomes events of all forms. From linear escalators to circular ceiling designs, to enchanting ballrooms and meeting spaces, this location could benefit from a typographic way-finding and place-making system that completely unifies it diverse structure and concept.



My Houston based location is quite wonderful but my dedication may be lacking..
Jones Hall and Plaza


This center for the performing arts is located in downtown Houston. The surrounding plaza takes up an entire city block with a modern environment looking onto the movable and brilliantly lit exterior of Jones Hall. With sweeping stone spaces throughout all the architecture, the environment could wholeheartedly benefit from place-making typography to fully envelop the visitor into their fine art experience. Whether a person is visiting to view a show or to have lunch in the plaza, an atmosphere of escape intellect should whisk the visitor into the world of the Jones Hall and Plaza.



So that's my dilemma. I guess we'll see what happens with Jones Hall.

1 comment:

  1. I would pick the convention center any day. It is huge and gives a very warm feeling. Therefore, I pick it up every time I have to arrange a party. I even booked it for my sister’s bachelorette party and decorated it like a club. I saved a lot like that.

    ReplyDelete